Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why I think I'll be leaving Orange UK as soon as I can

A few years ago Orange signal strength in the house and office was 4 bars or more. Over the years as they "upgrade" the network this has degraded. Now most of the time I have no signal or 1 bar and the phone becomes useless indoors.

We've been through all the technical testing, forcing it to particular signal types, and attempting forcing onto a different radio mast but to no avail.

Orange's conclusion was that the aerials might have been "nudged" during engineering work, but as I live in a relatively sparsely populated rural area and there were no other customers with issues they would do nothing.



Now today I've had a surprise - despite promising me Windows Mobile 6.5 for my phone (the excellent HTC Touch Pro2) in November/December, and then delaying it to this month, I've had an email from them stating that the upgrade will no longer be made available to customers. Even though HTC have an upgrade on their site for Orange that is being used by Orange elsewhere in the EU. If I use it and brick my phone, then I will have no technical support and have to pay to replace it.

This is NOT good customer service.  Interestingly, in their emails to business customers the state their ambition is "provide you with a brilliant service".

We'll, I'm not seeing it; so as soon as my contract expires, I'm off.

No comments: