Thursday, April 26, 2012

Got a Windows Phone 7? Tread carefully before changing your #Microsoft #Windows #Live ID password #WP7

With the recent improvements to SkyDrive, my use of my Windows Live ID took a turn for the more serious (and therefore more robust security is required).
 
So, (and I confess, slightly prompted by Barry Collins experience with Hotmail, see http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/04/25/moving-from-gmail-to-hotmail-the-disastrous-conclusion/) – I changed my Live ID password to something far more complex than before.
 
All seemed well, SkyDrive on the PC threw the expected wobbler until I changed the password, Windows Live on the phone needed the new password and all was well.
 
Then this afternoon a couple of app updates came through on the phone, and I turned to Marketplace to download them.  It asked for the new password, I put it in.  Fail.  I tried again, fail.
“Hmm”, rebooted the phone, fail.
Tried a few variations. Fail.
Tried some different (not so strong or lengthy) passwords.  Fail.
 
Eventually, I tried changing my LiveID password back to what it was, and the updates came through.  Once updated, I re-did the password back to the one I want.
 
But come on Microsoft, is this a WP7 bug, or are you caching credentials somewhere in the phone or the marketplace?  Either way, mend it.  Soon.
 
PS with no hint of irony, one of the app updates is SkyDrive.
PPS After installing and making my password more complex again, SkyDrive worked first time.
 

No comments: