Monday, November 16, 2009

A return to reality #TEE09 #marillion

En route back to Blighty from Berlin and one of the better Tech*Ed of the last 16 years.

But it's tinged with immense sadness, for I return to a world without Jayne. Her funeral was last week and I already said how I feel about that.

On the plane I'm listening to tracks that were played at her funeral, and those to which I have a great emotional attachment:
Marillion:
Beautiful
The Great Escape
Made Again
Neverland

And now a dose of King Crimson
Red
Starless
Heartbeat
Heroes
These might get back into a less docile frame of mind.

Neverland is the live recording from the fanclub warm-up of 30th April 2004. The date's important because it carries with it my strongest memory of Jayne. Early that year I'd started an all or nothing diet that enabled me to lose about 4 stone or more. Jayne and Mark were at the gig (Aylesbury Civic Centre), but we'd not yet seen them. All of a sudden there came a loud shriek from across the bar area and blue jumpered and long black haired blur ran up to me shouting "OH MY GOD - WHAT'S HAPPENED TO YOU!!!!!", immediately followed by an enormous hug (both arms reaching round and meeting <g>). It was Jayne. It was the greatest possible affirmation of what I'd achieved, and really welcome.

Sadly, thanks to adverse reaction to statins, that achievement of mine is temporarily lost, but that happy memory of Jayne lives on.

So, to home, and a Yes gig tonight in Birmingham, boy am I going to be knackered in the morning :-)

No comments: