Wednesday, March 06, 2019

The case of the Nokia 8 and the missing fingerprint data...

A funny thing happened the other day.  I finally (and accidentally) let the phone fully run down to 0% battery.  But it when it was charged again, something odd – I couldn’t use the fingerprint reader to unlock the phone or for anything else.  On opening settings to investigate it even prompted me to register fingerprints.  It appeared to have lost all fingerprint data.
 
So I went to re-register the fingerprints I used before and was told to try another digit.  A quick BING search confirmed that this can happen, but curiously there wasn’t much I could find on sorting it out.
 
So, having tried all the digits I had previously registered I finally tried a new digit.  It worked and was registered correctly.  But I still couldn’t register or use the originals.
 
Ten minutes later, thinking laterally, I deleted the new print.  At which point the phone decided it didn’t know about of any of my prints and I could re-register the ones I normally use.
 
I don’t know if this is an Android 9 issue, a Nokia 8 issue, or the combination.  But as a heads up – leave at least one digit unregistered on your phone for when this happens to you!
 

No comments: