Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Microsoft Forefront TMG and Windows 10 1803

With the 1803 update I got a problem.
 
I’ve used Forefront TMG2010 and it’s predecessors for over a decade.  It generally sits there doing it’s job and provides me with the means to control access in and out of the network.
The client has sat on the taskbar since XP days, without a problem.  Until the 1803 upgrade.
 
Microsoft don’t support TMG any more, so no joy looking on the forums for support, but I did find this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/936773/yellow-exclamation-mark-appears-next-to-the-firewall-client-icon-on-a.  Although I didn’t change the client (mine was v7.xxxx and 4 years younger), but the registry change had cleared the yellow marker on the TMG Taskbar icon.
 
I hadn’t found any actual problem with TMG (yet) that this might have caused, but at least an error has been cleared.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I experienced the same issue. I found that Firewall Client entries were actually missing from the subkeys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters". So instead of disabling the taskbar notification, I invoked Change of Firewall TMG Client in Programs and Features control panel and selected Repair. The registry entries got reinstated. The tarkbar notification gone.