Wednesday, October 23, 2013

#BBBR13 Day 5 - Calais to Chatham

Today was a day when i had to ride the first few miles as there were no lifts to the ferry port!  Taking it easy with my team 404 buddy Keith we made it past the old Chunnel digger and completed the published 4 miles in 7.4 miles to the port.
 
 

Once on board a good breakfast, followed by some larks on the deck.  I was beginning to feel a bit better.









On arrival at Dover we had the most magnificent sent off from the port staff and police and friends and family who had turned up.  We set our wheels determindly uphill and set out for the Battle Of Britain memorial at Capel Le Ferne.  Keith was a godsend, helping me pant my way through the incline.  What I did not know, was that this would be the final effort that would finish me off.




But best of all was what came next... A magnificent display from a Spitfire in D-Day landing colours.

We left for lanes rural through Kent.  Stopping here for a fine Kentish Ale...
A few miles later, though...  Despite being on flat level ground, I found that i could not turn over the pedals, even in 2nd gear (out of 20).  My ride was done for that day.


At the Naval memoriarl in Chatham some hours later I found these names on the plaques.  Given my connection with Bletchley Park, I thought I should note them:
 
Afterwards was the end of ride dinner.  By now I could not speak, and not breathe very well.  It was only the following week that i was diagnosed with a loss of about half my lung capacity and function and was advised I probably should have been in hospital.

No comments: