Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 4 #BBBR12

Up with the lark again!

Over cobbles and out of Arras heading for Vimy Ridge. I must have hill legs now as I didn't really have any issues.

We were welcomed to Canada by the woundedwarriors.ca's padre. He gave he most moving eulogy which ended with the wreath laying and a rendition by the boys of the Canadian National Anthem. Go and search YouTube for BBBR12 or BBBR2012 and you'll see.

Leaving the ridge shrouded in an unearthly mist we headed off the ridge for a lengthy flat ride into a Fenland like headwind. Easy peasy for me !! But lengthy.

Mid afternoon we crossed into Belgium right onto the forecourt of a pub - Leffe seemed the right response!

Yet more punctures for others (one outside a bike shop where I got some new mitts to replace my absolutely shredded first pair and a long heavy ride on concrete cycle ways to the hotel. Except for me it was the wrong hotel. The path is marked by orange arrows and you follow until you see your hotel colour. But orange continues to one hotel. So if you miss the turn you carry on regardless. Seems someone removed the pink arrows at the turn... I got a lift back showered changes and a quick dinner before heading to the Menin Gate for the 8pm ceremony.

Now I really should find some steak frites! (well at 2500 extra calories per day I'm allowed :-)

Tomorrow brings Tyne Cot. And Dunkerque. And the end. Phew.
Be back on blighty before I know it...

No comments: