Monday, April 18, 2011

An interesting gotcha on the WSUS front

In my test labs i have a full AD setup with Windows, Exchange, SQL, TMG, WSUS.  All in all over a dozen servers.

Last year i upgraded the ISA box to TMG, well sort of.  I created a new TMG box, upgraded the rule set to a backup of the ISA server (no 32 bit to 64bit migration possible), and let things roll.

To make life simpler I created a DNS alias for the ISA box pointing to the TMG box.  And assigned the IP as a secondary on TMG,  so in theory any old reference to ISA (called Baldrick "deny everything Baldrick"!) would work,

This weekend I found it didn't.  I've not done the diagnostics, but I found that the WSUS box stopped synchronising a while back.  Being labs, the system was set to approve automatically, and just keep the network up to date.  Well, it hadn't, and over 11GB of downloads were required. However worse was to come - when the entire virtual infrastructure started taking heavy hits for patching, the CPU load was, ahem, slightly more than average :-)

It's all OK now, but instead of taking things easy this weekend, I've been firefighting a set of interesting problems.  At least I fixed them; although the final thing and the root cause - why doesn't WSUS synchronise - still needs to be sorted.

No comments: