Wednesday, August 06, 2008

US air force museum, Cincinatti

Is quite a museum! Three giant halls with oodles of planes, including a stealth B-2, stealth F-117 fighter, and Apollo 15 command module.

Strangely the museum freely intermingles Nazi and Japanese empires items amongst the allied equipment, I'm not sure but at home I think that'd be a no-no.

The only brief truly discordant note was the holocaust exhibition. In itself it's a really good thing to pull out and have it's own space and show kids and adults alike what happened and why it must never be repeated; but, and it's a big but, you entered through a toy sized replica of the Auschwitz gate "Arbeit Macht Frei". I found it so objectionable that I walked around it. The display was good, and informative, but for me it was tainted by what felt like a gimmick.

No comments: